Harvard Beets - Susie Style


I first learned about Harvard beets from Chuck, and I started looking for recipes. He told me the ones he enjoyed years earlier had orange in them, so when I found a recipe that seemed close, I went with that and changed some ingredients...OK, most ingredients were altered at least a bit. This is the results:


Not my best food photos, but dinner was ready! Next time I'll take some time to stage it better and wipe the inside of the bowl down...maybe ;)

 

OK - let's get started!
 Start off by peeling and slicing your beets. Then put them into a steamer.
Next make your sauce. I like to make mine in my big cast iron skillet. That gives the beets lots of room.
 Once the beets are fork-tender, add them to the sauce. Stir to coat then turn to low (or shut the burner off for a while if you are using cast iron, because that keeps them plenty warm).

 Let them sit in the sauce for at least 30 minutes (OK, I admit, I often do a shorter period of time due to lack of planning on my part).

 Just before you are ready to serve them, turn up the heat so they simmer again, and add in the butter.


 And you are ready to chow down!

Harvard Beets
Serves 2 (or one beet maniac)

5 medium beets
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 cup orange juice (plus a few tablespoons as needed)
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. butter

If beets are early season with thin skin, peeling is optional. For later season beets, peel beets and slice about ¼” thick. Steam until easily pierced with a fork.

While beets are steaming, mix brown sugar and cornstarch together in frying pan. Add vinegar and juice. Bring to simmer and simmer 5 minutes. If sauce seems too thick, you can add a tablespoon or two of additional juice. Add sliced beets to hot sauce, stir to coat, turn off heat if using cast iron. For regular pan, turn to low. Let stand about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Just before serving, add butter and bring back to a simmer.

Note: If you do a better job of planning ahead than I usually do, you can steam your beets whole with skins on. When easily pierced with fork (about 30 minutes) remove skins – they slip off pretty easy, but you may want to wear gloves. Then slice beets. This helps preserve color, and if you are using Chioggia beets, the rings will be preserved better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak