Cabbage Unrolled

I love cabbage, and I have eaten and cabbage rolls other people have made. But, shoot, I don't even roll enchiladas! I am not going to spend time rolling cabbage. So, here is my alternative - Cabbage Unrolled :)


Crackers make the perfect accompaniment.


We decided a sprinkle of Parmesan would make it complete!


I love easy, throw-together meals...especially those that taste better the next day and give you a few meals of leftovers :)
I was kind of a slacker and missed out on early pictures. When I first added the cabbage, it filled my Dutch oven, and my first thought was "Holy cats! Is this going to work?" It cooked down very nicely, though. When I took the lid off, it looked really soupy. Then I stirred it, and I realized the consistency was actually just right.


So I added the cheese and put the lid back on for a few minutes.


 I actually had a little less than a cup, but it had already been shredded, and I didn't feel like shredding more. So we went with that.


 Cheese is all nice and melty. I stirred it in and served it up. We added a sprinkle of Parmesan and several grinds of red pepper flakes, plus salt.

This is definitely on our "Let's make this again!" list.

Cabbage Unrolled


2 lbs. grass fed ground beef
2 tsp seasoning (I used Canyon Road Red Enchilada Seasoning from Savory Spice Shop in Santa Fe…which has free shipping within the state of New Mexico, by the way)
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
~10 cups roughly chopped cabbage (about ½ of very large head)
2 cups of water
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
  1. In very large pot, brown ground beef and onion. Drain off grease if there is any. (The beef I used was so low fat the only thing in the pan was juices from the onion with very little fat – I did not drain that.)
  2. When beef is cooked and onions are clear, add seasoning, rice, cabbage, water and diced tomatoes. Stir.
  3. Let it come to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low. Cover to simmer for about 30 minutes or until rice is done and cabbage is soft. No peeking for the first 20 minutes! You want to make sure rice cooks well. It may look soupy, but when you stir it up, you will get a good picture of whether or not you need to cook longer to reduce liquid.
  4. Once cooked, top with cheese and cover with lid to melt a few minutes. Stir the cheese in – it makes a nice, light cheesy sauce. Top with additional cheese after serving, as desired.

It’s better the second day!

Next time I am going to plan ahead and add green chiles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak