Apple Cranberry Crisp


So, a couple of weeks back Bountiful Baskets had a couple of add-ons I couldn't resist - honey crisp apples and cranberries. I had visions of creating and canning all manner of holiday-style deliciousness.

And then reality set in.

Yes, I did make several batches of applesauce - and even canned two batches (keeping a mind, each of these batches was 3 or 4 jars). I also have made several varieties of cranberry sauce - and canned some of that, as well. 

Upon launching ourselves into our Thanksgiving trip, I snagged a dozen or so apples and 4 bags of cranberries to complement whatever else we decided to have for our meal.

I haven't made a pie in ages...if it has been that recent. In fact, I'm having a difficult time recalling the last time I rolled out a pie crust. After all, if God had intended for us to make our own pie crusts, he never would have created frozen pie crusts! Right? Well, with gluten-free ready-made pie crusts being only slightly more affordable than the newest iPhone, I have not been in the slightest bit temped to make a pie. Hence the hunt for a crisp recipe.

Of course, I could not find one I liked "as is" so I did my usual mish-mash of recipe creation...and with hopefully delicious results.

This could not have been easier...well, unless someone would have peeled the apples for me. But one doesn't buy 40 pounds of apples without the realization there would be some peeling in the future.


I would be lying if I told you I had all of my measurements figured out ahead of time. With the cranberries, I added them to the pan until it looked about right. Technical, isn't it? Then I actually took them all out and measured them. Yup - 2 cups.


The same went with the apples. I had 4 washed up, but I stopped peeling at 3, because I had a hunch that would be plenty. These are sliced pretty thin - about 6 slices per quarter. The I tossed in the flour and sugar and mixed it all together. Sure, I could have mixed it in a bowl first, but then I'd have had another bowl to clean, wouldn't I? Plus I was actually able to pull this off without losing any fruit. Yeah - surprised me, too!


I tossed all of the dry topping ingredients into a bowl (the one I didn't have to get dirty with the apples and such). I left out the nuts. OK, you got me. I forgot the nuts! But I'll remember the next time, I promise!


Butter was melted then poured over the top and mixed in.


Then I spooned the topping over the fruit, leveled it out and patted it down gently. Off into the oven it went!


 Not bad...not bad at all.

Apple Cranberry Crisp


FILLING
3 large honey crisp apples
2 cups cranberries
½ c sugar
3 tablespoons flour

TOPPING
1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon (heaping) cinnamon
½ cup butter (melted)
1/3 c finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Wash, peel and core apples. Slice fairly thinly – each half should be 10-12 slices.
Rinse cranberries and discard any soft ones.
Mix apples and cranberries together. Add flour and sugar and mix well. Place in 11 x 7 baking dish.

Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts together. Pour melted butter over top and mix well.

Spoon topping over fruit and spread evenly. Pat down gently.

Bake in 350-degree oven for 50 – 55 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak