Out-of-Season Green Chile Sauce

I love green chile season! You know it is starting when the big chile roasting drums appear in front of the grocery stores. Once that happens, we check the website for Graves Farm, which is just south of Roswell. We pick a time and run down to pick up a bushel of roasted Big Jim's. The smell while they are roasting is amazing - and the smell lingers in the car for several days. It is wonderfully relaxing after a long day at work :)

After we get home, the fun begins - peeling, seeding, dicing, preparing green sauce. Then we enjoy morning-after-morning of huevos rancheros smothered in green sauce.

I have to stop talking about it before I drool on my keyboard.

Alas, it is mid-June, and green chile season is nearly 2 months away (depending on harvest). I remembered I had powdered green chiles I bought at the Chile Cheese Festival here a while back (from Harvest Gifts - we bought the medium). After my husband dug through the cabinet and found them I pulled together a recipe and went for it. Sorry - no pictures on this one...I went straight from Green Sauce to Green Chile Enchilada Casserole :)

Out-of-Season Green Chile Sauce

2 teaspoons bacon fat, butter or oil
1 large onion, finely diced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon green chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons chicken Better Than Bouillion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons corn starch(depending on desired thickness of sauce)

Heat bacon fat in large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, 5-10 minutes. While that is cooking, boil water and stir in BTB to make broth (or use any chicken broth you like).

Combine green chile powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Slowly add to onions, stirring to prevent clumps. Let cook about 45 seconds. Stir in broth - starting slowly to prevent clumps. Bring to a simmer and cook several minutes.

Remove about 1/3 cup sauce. Add corn starch and stir until smooth. Add to sauce, stirring with whisk. I usually add the first half pretty quickly then slow down so I don't over-thicken my sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak