Chicken Broccoli Casserole

I hit paydirt at the store today. Yesterday's rotisserie chicken quarters for $4. Score! But what to do? We will likely use the legs and thighs as-is (as-are?), but I wanted something to do with the chicken breasts. Then I remembered a chicken casserole I hadn't made in probably 2 decades. I searched around to find something that looked familiar, and while I was putting a book on my shelf, I spied it - Talk About Good! cookbook published by the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc. (Louisiana) copyright 1969, my copy printed in 1981. I found the Chicken Casserole recipe (page 236, in case you were wondering) and decided to update it.

First off, I don't used canned soups, so I found a recipe for Quick Cream of Mushroom soup - that is fabulous! Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar to that, and you have a fabulous sauce.

Other major players - diced/shredded chicken breast, broccoli florets (blanched), and cooked pasta (I used red lentil linguine - YUM!). Mix it together in a large casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Chicken Broccoli Casserole

One recipe Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups shredded/cubed chicken
4 cups fresh broccoli florets (blanched 3 minutes then plunged into ice water)
8-ounce package of POW! Red Lentil Linguine Pasta, cooked al dente

Stir cheese into soup until melted. Mix all ingredients in large casserole dish and bake at 350* for 30 minutes.

Serves 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak