Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

I came home from work on Thursday with the knowledge I was coming down with something. I knew I would want chicken soup - but I also knew it wasn't going to happen that night.  After hunting around a bit, I found a recipe for chicken tortilla soup in a slow cooker (http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/12/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup-2/) so I adapted it a bit - and here it is. BTW, I don't have any really cool pictures, so I will use one - and then I refer you to the awesome blog where I got the original recipe for the cool pictures (Difference between a  Blogger <the other person> and a person who write a few blog posts every now and again <me>.)



Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 5 teaspoons chicken Better Than Bouillon
  • 5 cups boiling water (can substitute 5 cups chicken broth or stock)
  • 6 large, frozen Roma tomatoes (can substitute a can of petite-diced tomatoes)
  • 1 roughly chopped onion (I use sweet onions - they don't hurt my eyes when I cut them...not much, at least)
  • 5 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic crusher
  • 1 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika (I used Hungarian sweet, but the choice is yours)
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander (I ground the seeds up in my mortar - would have made a cool picture, had I thought of it)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I use about 20 grounds of black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use the organic I purchase at Sam's Club)
  • 1 cup dried black beans (can substitute 1 can, drained and rinsed)
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
  • (the original recipe includes cilantro and lime juice - we had no cilantro and had used the lime juice making mojitos - a good trade-off, I'd say)
    Toppings:
  • Roughly crumbled tortilla chips
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Diced avocado
  • Sour cream
Directions

The night before:
  • Chop onion and crush garlic then place in seal-able container in fridge
  • Combine all spices in seal-able container 
  • Check black beans for stones, rinse, then place in slow cooker with water to cover by about 2 inches and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (can omit this, but I've heard this cuts down on the "toot-iferous" factor of the beans, so I always do it)
  • Remove tomatoes from freezer, rinse to remove peel. Place in seal-able container in fridge.
In the morning:
  • Pour beans into colander then rinse them.
  • Remove tomatoes from fridge (they will likely be still be partially frozen) and dice. You may want to wear rubber gloves, if the tomatoes are too cold to handle easily.
  • Make chicken broth by combining boiling water and Better than Bouillon in a slow cooker. Add onion & garlic, beans, corn, tomatoes and spices. Stir well. Add chicken breasts then cover with lid and cook on LOW heat 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through...or until you get back form work.
  • Remove chicken, shred, and return to slow cooker. Allow to cook until heated through.
  • Serve hot with tortilla chips, cheese and other optional ingredients.
Note: You may need to add more broth. This turned out to be a very thick soup - but mine tend to be like that anyway, and my motto with soup-making is "the more the merrier!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak