Green Chile Pork Stew

One of my all-time favorite green chile dishes. I used to make this with canned green chiles...but that was before I knew of the existence of roasted green chiles ;)  I also seldom use canned tomatoes, as I have tomatoes from last year in my freezer. I peel those, crush or dice them and add them to the stew. And sometimes, like today, I leave them out and add in carrots - plus I'll add in corn shortly before serving.



Green Chile Pork Stew

1 onion chopped                        
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 - 1.5 lb pork, cubed
1 heaping Tbsp flour
~ 1 cup diced, roasted green chiles        
1 14.5 oz can finely diced tomatoes
1/4 c water                                           
1 potato, diced
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste  

1.   Saute onion in oil until soft, add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from pan.
2.   Heat additional oil in skillet. Fry pork until brown
3.   Stir in flour 
4.   Cook slightly then add chiles, tomatoes, and water.
5.   Add potatoes and reserved onions and garlic.
6.   Add salt and pepper to taste. 
7.   Simmer until potatoes are cooked and sauce is thickened.  If mixture thickens too much, just add a little more water.  Can add flour & water slurry if you want it thicker.

Option: You can add carrots or any other favorite stew veggie, as well.

Variation: To make this as a smother sauce (which is how the original came to me decades ago), dice the pork more finely and omit the potatoes. Let guests assemble their own burritos with cooked ground beef, cheese, and refried beans.  Cover with smother sauce and top with a little more cheese.

http://foods.weneedfun.com/how-to-make-new-mexico-green-chile-at-home/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak