Simple Slow Cooker Acorn Squash

Acorn squash is fairly new to us, but when a friend gave us one from his garden, we gave it a shot. It was delicious, but I didn't like how long it took to cook. For us to enjoy it during the week, I would have to come straight home and start to work on dinner...not one of my favorite ways to unwind from work. So, this delectable squash was relegated to weekend meals. Then I learned I could cook it in the slow cooker. I was totally sold!


 A nice acorn squash, a little butter, a little brown sugar, and a little cinnamon, and this is what you get!

  

Doesn't this look delicious! Plus it gave me an opportunity to try some of my new cinnamon from Penzey's in Tucson :)  
It went really well with the leftover ham, and since it is so easy - and since I can set it up in the morning and use a timer so it is ready at dinner time - this is going to be a regular at our dinner table. I made sure to save the seeds to plant in some of our dozens of bales next year.


The most difficult part of this dish is cutting the squash in half. Use a big, sharp knife and go slowly. I found that once I get the split going, I can pry it apart a bit to ease the rest of the process. Next clear out the seeds and strings and poke the flesh with a fork - this helps the buttery goodness seep into the flesh.


Use a crockpot large enough to fit your squash, and place a piece of foil in before you add the squash. This makes clean up easier and can help you lift them out if they are a bit mushy.
 
Add in some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

You can vary the amounts based on your tastes - and you can substitute other seasonings, such as pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon.


 You know what else would be really good? Substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar. How fabulous would that be!

Once you have doctored it up, put the lid on, set it on low and leave it alone for 5 hours. No peeking...no matter how good it smells!


 Tough to see through the steam, but it is done!


 I kinda wish I'd been a bit more liberal with the cinnamon...guess I'll have to make some again soon.


Serve it up in a bowl and scoop it out. Note that the bottom flesh will be pretty well saturated with butter goodness, while the sides will have less. I plan out my eating so every bite has a little of both.

Simple Slow Cooker Acorn Squash

1 acorn squash
~ 2 Tablespoons butter (I used a little less)
~ 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
Cinnamon

Wash squash and carefully split from stem end to bottom using a heavy, sharp knife.
Scrape flesh and seeds from squash.
Line slow cooker with foil and place squash in crock - bowl side up.
Place about a tablespoon of butter in each half, followed by a tablespoon of brown sugar. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon.
Place lid on slow cooker and set on low.
Cook for 5 - 5 1/2 hours.

Lift carefully and place in a bowl to enjoy with your meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak