Roasted Red Cabbage

When I received a red cabbage (a very LARGE red cabbage) in my Bountiful Basket last week, I started searching for recipes. Of course I found dozens and skimmed through about a half-dozen of those and landed on roasting. I used half of the cabbage - which worked well on two levels: 1) that's as much as would fit into the pan and 2) that gave me another half-cabbage for the second go-round...with my adaptations.

I neglected to take pictures, and for that I apologize. To be honest, we had cleaned up prior to having friends over for dinner the other night, and I couldn't remember where I had stashed my camera. You'll be happy to note that I have found it, because it was right in plain sight where I left it. Anyway, here we go...

Roasted Red Cabbage

1 small or 1/2 large red cabbage
1 large sweet onion
1 head of garlic
1 medium apple
3 slices jalapeno bacon
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Dice jalapeno bacon and cook until nearly crispy.
  3. Core the cabbage, then cut into cubes - about 1" square. Most will separate into leaves, but if you have a large clump, you might want to break it down a bit so it will roast more evenly.
  4. Toss cabbage into large roasting pan.
  5. Dice onion - add to pan.
  6. Peel garlic and cut into smaller chunks. I cut regular-size cloves into thirds. (Note, you can also smash or finely dice the garlic, but I like the chunks.) Add to pan.
  7. Core apple and cut into chunks - I think you have this part down...add to pan.
  8. Drizzle olive oil over veggies, and mix in with your hands to make sure everything is coated.
  9. Stir bacon and drippings.
  10. Drizzle balsamic over top and stir in.
  11. Place in 350-dgree oven. Roast for 50 minutes to an hour, stirring halfway through.
You can easily substitute regular bacon or omit it all together.

I love this dish because each mouthful has different tastes and textures. Plus it is really easy and will easily feed a family of 4...or more depending on size of cabbage and portion size.

Oh, and if you haven't tried Bountiful Baskets, check them out at http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ to see if it is available in your area.

TODAY'S VARIATION

I used regular cabbage, omitted the garlic and  balsamic and added in about 1/2 cup (give or take) of Craisins :)

It's still cooking, but here's the "before":

And then I added the Craisins and stirred...
 

Stirred and ready to roast :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak