Brussels Sprout Hash with Cranberries


I love Brussels sprouts. Of course had you suggested such a concept to me even a dozen years ago, I would have called you crazy. But it is official...I love Brussels sprouts!

We have enjoy them a variety of ways...
  • Steamed with a good, aged balsamic vinegar
  • Roasted with olive oil
  • Pan-seared with cranberries and blue cheese
  • Hash...with bacon
One day last week I peered into the fridge and noted some bacon and Brussels sprouts.  Mmmmm...hash! But then I noticed I had half a bag of cranberries left. Why not combine the recipes?


I cut the bacon into small chunks and started that cooking while I rinsed, trimmed, and quartered the sprouts. I rinsed and picked through the cranberries and chopped the onion.

When the bacon was cooked, I pulled it out of the pan and sauteed the onion in the bacon fat.

When the onion was translucent, I tossed in the sprouts and cranberries. I sauteed them a few minutes while I boiled some water to add the Better Than Bouillon. You can use broth if you prefer.

Simmer until the sprouts are tender and the berries have mostly popped. The liquid should be reduced significantly. Then stir in the syrup and balsamic. I used a regular aged balsamic this time, but I have used fig balsamic in the past, which adds another fun layer of flavor. Let this simmer and reduce a bit, then stir in the bacon and serve it up.
 
This is the cool serving bowl we purchased at the Pecos Valley Pottery Guild show recently. Isn't it awesome! (Oh, and we do dine by candle light every night. It isn't just for the picture.)


 Brussels Sprout Hash with Cranberries

12 oz Brussels Sprouts, rinsed, trimmed, and quartered
½ bag cranberries, rinsed and picked through to remove soft berries
6 slices bacon, diced
1 cup boiling water to make bouillon
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon (I was actually able to find this in Roswell - by the broths)
1 onion, diced
1 T maple syrup
1T aged balsamic vinegar

In large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat.
Remove bacon from pan and cook onion in the bacon fat.
When onions are translucent, add Brussels sprouts & cranberries.
Cook 5 minutes. Add 1 c broth and simmer to reduce.
Add syrup & balsamic and  simmer briefly
Add bacon, heat, and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Chili Candied Bacon

Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak